Summary of steps:
First, verify that you are an administrator of the workstation in question. To find out, go to the “Start” menu on the bottom left-hand corner and click on “Control Panel”.
Note the name indicated at the top (in this case, V2V Technologies), since this is your user name.
- Click on “User Accounts”.
- Then click on “Modify an Account”.
YoYou will then see your account; if this account indicates (see photo above) computer “Administrator”, this means that you can make changes and that you are allowed to install GEM-CAR.
VVVerify that your user name is different than that of the computer. For example, the user name cannot be “Server” if the computer’s name is “Server”. To verify this, you must click on the “Start” menu that is located in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Then, go to “Workstation” and right-click on “Workstation”.
- Go to “Properties”.
- Once you have clicked on “Properties”, you will see this window (System Properties).
- Go to the “Computer Name” tab.
- In In this case, you will see that the computer’s name is “server” and that it is part of the “GEM-CAR” work group. Since you noted in the previous step that the user name (administrator) is “V2V Technologies”, everything is correct since the computer’s name and the user name are different.
- Verify whether Service Pack 3 is installed. To do so, right-click on “Workstation” and then again on “Properties” as you did previously.
- You will notice under System that “Service Pack 3” is installed. If Service Pack 2 is indicated, you will have to go online to download and install it at this address:
If you do not have Service Pack 2, go to this address:
- On the Microsoft site, choose the language and click on “Download”.
- InInternet Explorer may be protected to control downloads, as indicated in this illustration:
- In this case, right-click on “Download the file…”. You will then see the “File download” window.
- Click on “Run” and Service Pack 3 will be installed. You will have to restart the computer once it is downloaded for SP3 to function.
- Your Windows XP must also be up to date, meaning that the latest updates must be made. If you see a small yellow shield with an exclamation point inside to the left of the clock (as indicated in the illustration below), you must update your Windows.
- Double-click on the shield.
- Then click on the button “Install”. You may be required to restart your computer once the download is complete; if this is the case, click “Restart now” for the updates to take effect.
- You may not see the small yellow shield in the bottom right-hand corner (beside the clock) but you may still have updates to install. Open “Windows Update” by clicking on the “Start” menu and click on “Windows Update”.
- Click on “Windows Update”; a Web page will open to the Microsoft site.
- Then click on the “Quick” button on the “Windows Update” Web page. It will begin searching for updates for your Windows XP.
- You will then get the results. If updates are available, you will see them and you can click on the “Install updates” button.
Once again, it may be necessary to restart your computer for the system to activate the updates. Once your computer has restarted with all the latest updates installed, you will finally be ready to install V2V Technologies’ latest innovation: GEM-CAR SQL version.